What are your family traditions? What about your favorite pastimes with your closest friends? Ever thought of doing something together that would stimulate meaningful discussions and personal growth? Here is your chance!
Grab your kiddos or call up your closest friends and join us for an episode of the Dreamers & Doers Podcast!
Each Growing Together post will provide you with thought provoking questions to discuss, steps to put what you learn into action, and opportunities to share with others.
Today we are discovering how to use doubt to fuel your dreams with Chef Gabriel Lewis.
Chef Gabe is a fast food server turned private chef. Through hard work and tenacity, Gabriel became a top 7 finalist on the Gordon Ramsay hit cooking show MasterChef. He is the Okie Award Best Chef of 2019 and caterer in Oklahoma City.
Gabriel comes from a family who loves cooking. Any time he saw food being prepared it would bring his family close. Cooking made him happy and helped him relive the memories he had. It became a passion of his.
Food was always at the forefront of his thoughts, but Chef Gabe always wanted to explore entrepreneurship. He thought of becoming a business man while growing up. However, he wasn’t as passionate about it as he was with cooking.
Think About It: What makes your heart sing?
Before starting the podcast, share this question with those who will be watching with you.
What do you love about what you do? (at work, hobbies, school, home)
- Do you see any common themes throughout what you love about what you do?
- Is there a dream you could pursue within what you’ve discovered about what you truly enjoy?
When in doubt, do what you know; practice what you love and enjoy what you create.
Discuss It: Use Doubt to Fuel Your Dreams
Now that you’ve listened to the podcast, use the following questions to unpack what you learned with your family and friends.
- Have you ever pursued a passion that others doubted you would be successful?
- Did it discourage you from continuing to pursue your passion? If not, how did you push through it? If so, what would you do differently?
“Comfort is the enemy of progress” Pursuing your dreams can be uncomfortable but that discomfort is the motivation that propels you forward. When you are too comfortable you do not push yourself, you don’t challenge yourself as you would if you were uncomfortable. Find ways to challenge yourself and stay uncomfortable!
Do It: Trial and error – Practice makes perfect
Alright, now what? What is your next step? How can you put ONE thing you learned today into practice? Here are a few ideas!
- Complete a free course at https://www.coursera.org/ to develop a skill that will bring you closer to making your dream a reality.
- Pick up a copy of Dream Big by Bob Goff to rediscover your dreams and turn them into reality. https://dreambigframework.com/
In Dream Big, Bob will show you how to:
- learn to define clearly your dreams for yourself,
- identify the obstacles holding you back,
- come up with a specific plan for reaching goals, and
- develop the tools that will help you act on the plan.
- Do some research! Who is doing what you dream of doing? Find them. Follow them. Discover their journey to inspire yours!
If you heard something today that resonated with you, share it with your friends on social media. Tag @loveworksleadership. We’d love to hear from you!