Welcome to the Loveworks dreamers and doers Podcast # 33. At Loveworks we believe you are NEVER too young to be a dreamer and NEVER too old to do your dream.
If this is your first time, thank you for joining us and giving us the thing that means the most to you – your time. If you’re returning, welcome back! We know you have lots of options out there in the Podcast universe.
Our hope with Dreamers & Doers podcast is that each week’s special guests will connect with you wherever you find yourself today and inspire you to become the best version of yourself for tomorrow.
Personal Growth with Michael and Carolyn
Here at Loveworks, we believe leaders are readers! This week Michael and Carolyn are sharing their favorite books!
- Step by Chris Capehart: Pursuing your dreams in the midst of everyday life regardless of the circumstances. (Check out his interview with us here!)
- All the Way to the Top by Annette Bay Pimentel and Jennifer Keelan-Chaffins: Story about Jennifer Keelan-Chaffins and how she advocated for the rights of the ADA community.
- Pandemic Population by Tim Elmore: 8 strategies for Gen Z to rediscover hope after COVID-19.
- Dare to Lead by Brene Brown: Learning to be the best leader by being courageous and vulnerable.
- The Girl Chronicles by Elizabeth and Allison Grantham: Shares the story of Elizabeth and Allison’s journey to creating their own non-profit organization, Beads of Good, to help women in Africa. (Check out our interview with Elizabeth here!)
- Hope is a Verb by Amy Downs: The story of how the OKC Bombing event changed Amy’s life. (Check out her interview with us here!)
Laura Aufleger: President of OnCue
Let’s meet our Dreamer and Doer! Although she is currently the President of OnCue, Laura Griffith Aufleger started by working at one of the stores at age 15. Prior to rejoining the company, she was a Vice President at Direct Development, a commercial real estate development company in Dallas. She also worked for Ackerman McQueen in OKC and The Richards Group in Dallas. Laura received a degree in journalism from the University of Oklahoma. Laura serves on the Governing Resource Board for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Oklahoma. She is a long- time advocate and spent over a decade as a mentor in the communities of Stillwater, Norman and Dallas. She serves on the Allied Arts Board and on the executive leadership team for the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum and Annie Oakley Society (Little Sure Shots). She is on the C-Store News Editorial Advisory Board. She is a parent representative on the Presbyterian Preschool Advisory Board and a member of the PTO and Homeroom Mom. Laura received the Top Women in Convenience Award, was named 40 under 40 Leaders to Watch by Convenience Stores Decisions and was named a 2020 Achiever’s Under 40 by the Journal Record. Laura is married to her husband Barrett and they have three children- Griffith (9), Ella (6), and Scarlett (3).
Laura feels she is both a dreamer and a doer. She says before you can do anything, you have to dream it! All powered by coffee of course.
Starting with a Fisher-Price Cash Register
Laura had big dreams as a little girl. She would play with her Fisher-Price cash register and start her own play-business. She wanted to do it all!
Laura faced many challenges and realized life may not be what she thought it would look like. She never pictured herself working at a convenience store. However, she continued to take opportunities that showed up in front of her. She learned many skill sets that she was able to use in her now role as OnCue President.
Serving and Making a Difference
Laura had a dream to become philanthropic when she was younger. At OnCue, she is able to fulfill that dream by supporting different organizations through her company. Being in business does not mean you cannot also be generous!
Perseverance and taking opportunities in front of you can lead you to a place where you can make a difference in the world. Continue to focus on your goal. And your braces will come off!
Big Brother Big Sister
To learn more about Big Brother Big Sister visit https://www.bbbs.org.
- Don’t dismiss regular life tasks. Take the opportunity in front of you to learn new skill sets!
- You can still be generous in the business world.
- You can make a difference no matter your career.
Connect with Laura:
Facebook: @Laura Aufleger
LinkedIn: @Laura Aufleger